Ever been to a business event, interview or even on an appointment and have the person you’re with grab their phone as it rings and say to you, “Hold on a minute…” as they take the call?
Sure you have. I have.
5 Smart Phone Etiquette Tips
1) Don’t do it! When in a meeting, business event, or on even an appointment, it’s easy! Turn your phone off or to silent. Don’t fool yourself! Even with the phone set to vibrate only, your phone will buzz you… beckon you… and probably whisper your name…and still make you want to take a “just quick peek” at who needs you.
2) Back away from the phone! I get it! You’ve just “got to be connected.” So take your phone out, and place it gently in your glove box, and go to your next meeting. I already hear you! “Goodness! What about my calendar?” Just in case of a follow-up appointment, lunch, or round of golf, take your phone with you…only after you put your phone on complete silent mode, and put it in your pocket or purse before leaving your vehicle.
3) What is the message you’re sending? When you pick up the phone during a meeting it discounts the person or people you’re with, telling them they are not that important. Think about how that makes you feel. Consider how it may make the other person feel if you are the one doing it to them!
4) Professional is as professional does! Professionals in any industry seem, well… to always be professional. Answering the phone during a meeting can, and does, alienate a potential client or prospect. It could result in a lost sale or worse, a lost relationship you hoped to build.
5) Emergencies happen! Of course they do. One method to handle an urgent call may be to say, “I apologize, this could be urgent and I’ve simply have to take it. Please excuse me.” Stand up, move away from the meeting – preferably out of earshot – speak quietly and make it short. Very short. Less than a minute.
Go forward my friends…and leave the phone alone.